Thursday, May 30, 2013

How My Light Turned Back On

I was introduced to Carrie Hope Fletcher around the end of November, beginning of December by Eric, who is an avid youtuber.  I was not only introduced to this wonderful girl, but also introduced to this entire world inside of the Internet.  Before meeting Eric, I only used YouTube to look up music videos or to listen to music by different artists.  I didn't realize the careers people had on YouTube and all of the vlogging that was currently happening.  Because I have been introduced to this world, I have learned a significant amount that I never thought I would have.  There is educational information as well as advice from many of the people that Eric religiously follows and I have started to follow as well.

A few weeks after Eric and I had met, he showed me this video, Turning On The Light by Carrie Hope Fletcher.  This was my first introduction.  At first I wasn't sure of what to make of this world.  But he prefaced that this is how he felt after he met me.  As I continued to watch this video, I realized that I could connect so much to Carrie.  After all, we were similar in age and were having the same struggles.    Of course, after this video, I went out to buy the book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller, which I read religiously until I finished it.  I had the same emotion to the scene in the book on page 56, which states, "She knows who she is.  She just for got for a little while."  It only started three years ago when I really had started to forget who I was and where I was going. When I moved to Massachusetts in February of 2012, I started to find myself again.  I was able to start over.  With the memories and experiences of my past, but with new people who I could decide how they got to know me.  I was able to recreate the story of my twenties.  And it wasn't until I officially met Eric in October 2012, that my light was turned back on.  Everything all of a sudden made sense again.

Now, many months later, I still watch all of her videos and was reminded of this one again recently.  That each day, no matter the struggle, I still wake up knowing where I am going. Some days the road may be foggy, but at the end of the day I know where I'll be in a year and what I need to accomplish in order to get there.  And the best part of all of this is that my path isn't set in stone and I'm not positive of exactly where I want my life to end up.  But I know what I want to experience in the next couple of years and I know how to go about getting those experiences.

It is a shame that life moves so fast.  All of us are in a rush to grow up and start our lives.  And when we have the excitement and motivation for this, everything is great...until it isn't.  With the rushing, if one thing steps in our way, we fall ten steps back instead of accepting the struggle and moving forward.  Today there is such a need of knowing all of the steps of where we need to be and what we need to do. But why can't we just sit back and enjoy the ride a little bit?  Step back from our rushing, figure out who is important to us and figure out slowly, but confidently where we want to be for ourselves and not the world.

Because we all lose ourselves every once in a while, but it is so significant to find that person, or group of people who can be there to motivate and help you flip the switch and get you back on track.

Thank you, Carrie Hope Fletcher and Donald Miller for helping me recognize how to create my own great story.

No comments:

Post a Comment