Wednesday, April 17, 2013

It's over. Can you be happy?

I am a believer in certain people coming into your life for a specific reason and a certain amount of time.  Whether this time period is a day, a month, years, or even your entire life.  They were placed into your life to make a positive difference even if the experience isn't positive the entire time.

Throughout my life I have had many best friends.  Some I've had since I was very young and some that have recently entered my life.  I don't use the term best friend lightly either.  But I also don't believe a best friend is someone who will necessarily be with you your entire life.  They could just be someone who you needed in that moment and was everything you could ever ask for.

I have a best friend who I've been friends with since I was three or four.  While we aren't as close as we used to be I consider her family and would do anything for her.  I know that she would do the same.  I know that she will always be in my life no matter what.  And even though we have our own lives and different paths, our friendship will always remain.  I also have friends from middle school to high school that were everything I needed, until I moved to college.  And time and distance got in the way.

I am not saddened by these experiences.  And I don't believe that many people should be.  There are reasons that we date and break up with people.  But usually breakup should lead to a positive.  With each breakup and lost friend because of distance we should look at the experience and see what we want again from those relationships and what we would change.  Having these friendships make us grow and change.  I believe they are a major aspect of our maturity. Without these experiences we may be naive to life around us.

A couple of a years ago I was in a destructive relationship with a friend and a "hook-up," I suppose would be the best way to describe him.  These experiences sent me on a turmoil downwards.  But because of these experiences I was able to start over.  I moved to a new state, created new friends and met my amazing boyfriend.  So even though I had reached the lowest point in my life with the help of these two people, I still wouldn't change anything because I believe they were meant to be in my life and help the process along.

It has taken me a while to get to this frame of mind and I think that many people need a reminder that if one person leaves, another person will most likely enter.  Sometimes when someone leaves we think we will never find someone as great as them or someone who could ever fill the void.  We usually do though even if it takes sometime.  I hope to be a form of insight for people who need to hear this, or believe it themselves, but possibly have forgotten momentarily.

But I do believe everything happens for a reason, and this is just one aspect of that belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment